Catch up on Aman

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Can Someone Please Make the Perfect PDA!!!???

This is just simply frustrating!!! PDAs have been around for some time now, and definitely long enough for major cell phone manufacturers to have a good idea about what consumers really want in terms of functionality.

But then, what's gives with all the incomplete PDA devices that are currently out in the market!!?

First, you have the Motorla Q. A great device, slim, but wide, ok, no biggie. But the screen is so small, and actually has the smallest surface area of any PDA. It's great that they incorporated the QWERTY keyboard.. but the phone lacks a touch-screen, and hence, also a stylus... so one is limited to using a scroll-wheel, much like the Blackberry PDAs... how lame! What good is a PDA when it has a small screen that isn't touch-sensitive?? Not to mention, the Q also lacks built in WiFi. So, this phone is definately out!

Ok, next, there's the XV6700. A handsome device.. nice big screen, super fast processor, and great resolution. Heck, it even has WiFi along with EVDO (which all PDAs nowadays have). But, it too has its shortcomings... there's no QWERTY keyboard unless you slide out the keyboard from beneath the screen, in which case, you have to use both hands... now that would be ok if this was just a PDA, but its also a phone! Plus, the keyboard feels flimsy and I can't believe it will last for 2 years which is how long it takes for my contract to expire! But all in all, the built in WiFi definitiley is a great plus, and unlike the Q, this phone does come with a stylus, and is touch-sensitive. So, this isn't a bad choice.

Finally, the last phone worth considering, since I have Verizon, is the Treo 700W. I had a Treo 600, so I know these phones well, but I'm not very impressed with the 700W i bought last week. Firstly, its freakin' expensive... the most out of the three phones... has no built in WiFi like the XV6700, and has a slower processor with a lower resolution screen. The only thing I love about the Treo is that it is touch-sensitive, comes with a stylus, and has a QWERTY keypad that doesn't require pulling out a stupid tray from beneath the screen. So, that's a big plus for me since phone-usage is my primary concern, and hence I ended up picking this phone.

But again, not any one of these devices is complete!!! The Q isn't touch sensitive and has no stylus nor Wifi, the XV does have a pull-out QWERTY keyboard, but it requires two hand operation, and the Treo has a slower processor, lower res screen and no WiFi....

What the f$#@!!!!!

For now... I'm holding on to the Treo... but I might switch to the XV in a couple of weeks if the Treo doesn't keep me happy, as I don't want to spend $100 more on a stupid WiFi card that sticks out of the phone! I figure I bet LOVE the Treo to pay $100 more than the XV for it, plus pay another $100 more for the WiFi card which is built-in to the XV.

I can only hope newer phones like the Treo 750W will be more well-rounded than what today's suite of PDAs has to offer.

3 Comments:

Blogger Sudhir said...

The most successful products are the ones that are modifications of existing products (they made them better to work in the real market). If these aren't working, maybe we can design one (considering you are EE and I'm CS)! Now all we need is funding! hahaha.

Like you said, the devices have drawbacks but I can't help thinking if these "drawbacks" are intentional? The next release of these products will probably be better and then we'll have to shell out another $300 to get the new, improved ones!

10:00 AM  
Blogger Aman said...

your funding is overdue ;-)

1:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you looked at Nokia's E61i?

3:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home