Catch up on Aman

Thursday, August 17, 2006

Aman Managing to Make Situations Awkward

I met her about two months ago as I joined my new job. She's a smart, beautiful and very attractive young woman in her late 20s. She has a great body, and a very trendy and fashionalbe dress-sense, that seems to be only more noticeable at my place of work. She's liked by everyone, and is a fun girl once you get to know her.... but I guess that's where I messed it all up.

Before you assume that I *like* her and want more than friendship with her... let me just correct you by saying that is simply not so. Yes she's attractive, dresses-well and has all the qualities that I'd want in a girl... but NO, I'm not into her that way. She's just a great girl, that it would be fun to hang out with at work whenever one had some down-time. And that's where it stops!

But the casual friendship that I want might seem too far-off a concept for now, as I've managed to fu*k things up pretty badly... by simply trying to play it cool. But now I'm realizing that I was anything but *cool*.

Its not cool when I notice her pass by my office, but never once say 'hi' or 'hello' becuase I'm trying to show her that I don't notice, though I clearly do. Its not cool that I avoid sitting next to her during meetings though I clearly want the opportunity to try and make small-talk with her. Its not cool that I pretend to play busy at work whenever I see her caught up in a hallway conversation and don't stop by and participate, though I'm yearning to take part in it. And, its definately not cool that I avoid conversing with her when I see her at the gym in the mornings, though I know I enjoy seeing her there as it seems to motivate me to train harder for some reason.

Why the heck am I trying to play so cool...? Why can't I just admit to myself that she's a great girl who I want to get to know better, and so that means taking an iniative. Why can I do this with all people except for girls that I find attractive, even though I may not be seeking anything more than friendship, as in this case. Why do I go and make simple things so complicated sometimes...?

It all hit me in the head yesterday evening as I walked by her in the hallway and wished her with a good-night greeting... only to be ignored by her as she simply didn't say a word. This girl that used to respond to my greetings, and even discussed her marathon-training with me the first time I saw her at the gym, has suddenly grown a bit colder towards me.

But I guess I simply can't blame her, as I've been playing *cool* for simply too long....

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Food for thought……….She is over you for shunning her this long. One good night and have great day is not going to make up for it. Its going to take a little more than that……...... You obviously see her in the meetings, thus you guys have stuff (work related) in common. Strike a couple of conversations with her that is purely work related. Once she is comfortable talking to you in general( look out for body language) start asking her more about her personal life and share some details about your. If nothing else this will at least give you a foundation to build on with out any awkwardness.

Kohinoor

9:38 AM  
Blogger Aman said...

Thanks, but I know what to do... I just wanted to share how a good situation became awekward... just by me being a DORK! ;-)

12:22 PM  
Blogger Madeleine said...

it makes me laugh how us suppossed adults, can resort to playground behaviour in situations like these(or am i just talking about myself here?-probably)
and the more we contemplate it the bigger this problem grows.
i have found myself in situations like this, and the reason being that i so often give off the wrong signals to men by being friendly, so i find myself ignoring them 'just in case'.
mmm.maybe i need to get over myself!!

interesting to see what might happen should you be forced in a lift together..who would break the ice first?

ps i followed the blogosphere trail and here i am!
:)

6:58 PM  
Blogger Aman said...

Awkwardness fixed... it's funny what a silly smile and a dorky comment can accomplish :-)

11:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home