Catch up on Aman

Monday, August 07, 2006

Size of Mars = Size of Moon this August 27....? I don't think so!

Haven't gotten one of these forwards yet...? They have been floating around cyber-space recently claiming that the planet Mars and the Moon will both be the same distance away from the Earth this August 27th, and hence 'the Red Planet' will be visible to the naked human eye for the first time ever... all because of some mumbo-jumbo story about an interaction with Jupiter's gravity...
Now, when I got this, I thought, wow, cool... I'll be able to see it... maybe even take a pic or two... but then I realized... wait a minute, that can't be... cuz if that happened, everything would be f$#@'ed up!
Imagine that, why the heck would Mars be forced to leave its orbit to approach as close to the Earth as our own Moon is... and just imagine what else may be going on out there at the same time to have such a castastrophic event take place in our solar system. Heck, one thing is for sure... if Mars ever did get that close to the Earth... we would never be alive to see it because if we didn't all drown by the excessive tidal-waves caused by the affect of Mars' gravity on our oceans... then I'm sure something else would have probably made us extinct...
So, just be warned, that this is a hoax. Save yourself some embaressment and don't forward it to your friends and co-workers... I'm trying to stop you from making a fool of yourself...!
Granted, I got this forward from a friend... but I sure am glad I didn't send it off free-nilly nor post it on my blog without actually thinking about it...
Here are some good websites that explain this email prank/hoax in more detail:
- Beware of the Mars Hoax (Nasa)
- Close Encounter with Mars (Urban Legends)
Please do note that Mars will be unusually closer than it normally is, and yes, it may appear red through a nice telescope, but it will just be a big star to the naked-eye, and certainly not as large as the moon!

-Catch up on Aman, keeping you in the KNOW!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you sure the claim wasn't that they would apear the same size in the scy? i admit that I can't think of a way Mars would appear as large as the moon but I honestly haven't heard anyone claim what you wrote in your article either.

12:13 AM  
Blogger Aman said...

Read the link that contains the forward..

12:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home