Catch up on Aman

Friday, August 11, 2006

It's Over, I'm Another Year Older... and Still Ticking... tick... tick

Another year gone by, another year to look forward to. Another year with loved ones, and realizing just how special family is and how lucky I am to have mine. Another year spent on my career, still striving to be all I can be. Another year being single, and still looking to find my angel. Another year of making new friends, but losing some close ties with some older ones. Another year added to long lasting friendships that seem to have become only more special one year later. Another year of finding out what's truly important in life, and letting go of things that simply are not. Another year... another year to work towards making it all right.

Does age bring wisdom... or does it bring maturity...? Does it bring about happiness... or a better ability to tolerate sadness ..? Does it bring one closer to their definition of bliss... or do one's comprimises bring bliss closer to reality...? I guess I simply can't say.

All I can say is that age brings one closer to a complete sense of self. If I know anything better now than I did a year ago, then it is myself. Afterall, I've been 'Catching up on Aman' longer than even the most loyal of my blog-readers.

So, every year I take a closer look at the good and the bad, the right and the wrong, and the strenghts and the weaknesses that have come to define my character. Every year I come to a better realization of how I'm not perfect, how I'm not always right, how I can be stubborn, naive, immature, etc. But every year I also realize how I'm also not a bad person, and every year, I can commit to becoming a little bit better for the next time I go up by one.

Some of us have a very specific scale of how to measure our age, besides just the number... We may focus on our finances, or our relationships, or our cars, or our toys, etc... I just feel that if I just measure my age by my being, by my thoughts, and by my sense of self, then that's all that truly matters... and the rest is bound to follow. Afterall, if I can't figure myself out... then my bliss will only be an artifact of chance, and not design.

Just my 2 cents on aging... Thanks to all my friends who helped me celebrate tonight... and to all those who I'll be celebrating with this weekend... birthdays would be a waste without family and friends.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, my little brother has grown up! that was pretty deep aman...serious, all jokes aside! :) hope you have a fantabulous birthday and thinking of u...wish i was there to celebrate..i guess its true, birthdays are nothing without special people to share them with and i know we have missed way too many of our b'days together given my nomadic lifestyle...but as the world gets smaller, connections grow, in this world of instant messnger and blogs, skype and sms-ing, we can always be in touch and grow closer...and hopefully one day actually be around for this special day cuz of course, nothing makes up for being there for each other in-person. love u! rinks.

4:55 AM  
Blogger Aman said...

HA! thanks f.

11:25 AM  
Blogger Admin said...

Happy Happy Birthday!!!!

12:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home