Catch up on Aman

Thursday, July 20, 2006

Yes, they do speak fluent English in India!

One good thing the British left behind in India, besides the railroad and schooling systems, was the English language. Since it's independence, India has been one of the few nations in the world that has been teaching English in its schools along with the national or state languages. In fact... sometimes the only way two Indians can communicate is through English, since India has so many other native languages that two people may not speak the same one! In this case, English becomes a necessity, which I guess is one of the reasons why it is known as the second-official language of India, behind Hindi.

But, even though we may seem to have mastered the English language... we do make some hilarious grammatical mistakes every now and then...

Here are some comical notes from India in English:
Applying for a week's leave:
"Since I have to go to my village to sell my land along with my wife, please sanction me one-week leave."
Employee asking for leave to perform his daughter's wedding:
"As I am marrying my daughter, please grant a week's leave.."
Employee asking for a half-day off:
"Since I've to go to the cremation ground at 10 o-clock and I may not return, please grant me half day casual leave"
Asking for a sick-day:
"I am suffering from fever, please declare one-day holiday."
Asking for a day-off from school:
"As I am studying in this school I am suffering from headache. I request you to leave me today"
Asking for leave to take care of your wife:
"My wife is suffering from sickness and as I am her only husband at home I may be granted leave".
Being courteous in emails/letters:
"I am well here and hope you are also in the same well."
Applying for a job:
"This has reference to your advertisement calling for a ' Typist and an Accountant - Male or Female'... As I am both(!! )for the past several years and I can handle both with good experience, I am applying for the post.

So what... we're not perfect.... at least we're funny! Still proud to be Indian! :-P

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home